Although most of the SJ songs are immensely popular among mass and class, but there are few songs which mesmerized the public and refused to go out of mind of general public even after years and years. Even who don’t know much about Hindi Film Music in general and SJ in particular also would know these songs and hum it some or other time. I have put these songs under “Kaljayi” i.e. timeless category. Let me list few such songs which have caught the imagination of millions of people and remained popular even in new generation:
(1) Baharo phool barsao, mera mehboob aaya hai…….This Md.Rafi song is must even today at most of the marriage function. All the band-baja people know this tune and words. What a lyrics by Hasrat Sahab, it has given words to feelings of any girl waiting for her soulmate.
(2) Raja ki aayegi Barat…Again hugely popular marriage song.
(3) Bhaiyya mere rakhi ke bandhan ko nibhana……I would say this as National Rakhi song…none other Rakhi song even come closer to this. So simple yet powerful and meaningful poetry, only Shailendra could do it, equally tuned melodiously by SJ.
(4) Teri Pyari pyari surat ko kisi ki najar na lage, Chasmebaddor….Romantic song by Hasratji, still come into mind always to new generation lovers.
(5) Mera joota hai japani…..Songs which crossed the border to become immensely popular everywhere and remained so. I have seen many perosn hum this song without knowing anything about SJ. “Phir bhi dil hai hindustani”…poetry of Shailendra became inspiration of many. What a magical tune, silky voice of Mukesh and not to forget orchastrisation of entire song.
(6) Sau sal pahle muje tumse pyar tha……….Another romantic song, often being used by lovers, and people playing ‘antakshari’.
(7) Hotho pe sachai rahti hai…jis desh me ganga bahti hai……Patriotic song by Mukesh and yet again beautifully written by Shailendra, always remained popular with mass.
(8) Dost dost na raha……..favourite with heartbroken people 🙁 , who were cheted by their closed ones.
Please note that, I am not discussing best SJ songs musically or otherwise, but which have caught the imagination and became popular in mass and remained so even after decades, or I would say half a century.
Any other songs, which can be added in this list of “kaljayi” songs….?