BIRTH NAME - Shankar Singh Raghuvanshi BORN - October 5, 1922, Hyderabad(Andhra pradesh), India (1922-10-05) DIED - April 26, 1987(1987-04-26) (aged 64) GENRES - Film score, Indian classical music, Fusion music, Indo jazz OCCUPATIONS - Composer, music director, orchestrator, conductor YEAR ACTIVE - 1949–1987
The First Break : FILM “Barsaat”
Raj Kapoor made his debut as a director with the film “Aag” in 1948. While the film received a mixed response at the box office, its musical score (in which the music director Ram Ganguli was assisted by Shankar and Jaikishan) proved to be quite popular. However, during the recording of some song for his new venture `Barsaat‘, Raj Kapoor had some serious differences with Ram Ganguly, the music composer of the film and decided to assign its music to Shankar who insisted on taking Jaikishan as his partner and thus came into existence the new pair of music directors(MD) named `Shankar-Jaikishan’ who gave landmark, path-breaking and trend-setting music for the RK production `Barsaat’ in 1949.
- Shankar played a role of a fisherman in the film “Aag”(1948)
- During his formative years Shankar played the tabla and learned the art formally from Baba Nasir Khansahib.
- For many years Shankar studied as a disciple of the legendary composer khawaja.
- Shankar Family is based in Hyderabad and is involved in the Hotel bussiness.
- Shankar was born in Punjab and got trained under Husnlal Bhagatram.He later settled down in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh